Port Logan lies in the south corner of Port Logan (or Port Nessock) Bay, and consists of two rows of houses, one on the level of the shore, the other higher up on the hill face. The peculiarity of the lower houses is that the road runs along an embankment in front of the houses blocking the view of the sea from the ground floor – however the view is still to be had from the second level.
Boats can be launched from the slipway.
In 1800 Colonel Andrew MacDouall formed the Logan Fishpond, which is situated on the north side of the bay. This is a circular hole in the rocks which has since been enlarged and deepened artificially to create a natural pool, into which the sea washes at every tide through a narrow crevice (nowadays it is done with valves), and then washed out again refreshing the water left behind. It was used to keep cod for the table at Logan House but today it is a marine centre housing all kinds of sea creatures.
In 1820 the same Colonel MacDouall built the stone pier at Port Logan in an attempt to make a safe harbour to rival Portpatrick but the trade did not materialise and Port Logan remained a small fishing village, at one time housing the local lifeboat which was hauled between Port Logan and New England Bay.
Perhaps the most famous local attraction is the Logan Botanic Gardens, where the visitor can see rows of Chusan palms from China, huge tree ferns and Cabbage palms, all growing outside, in the mild climate, courtesy of the Gulf Stream.
"Two Thousand Acres of Sky"